NOW HIRING: LOCAL DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is currently seeking a local digital content producer for ajc.com . This position is responsible for content that drives audience growth at the community level in metro Atlanta.
The content producer covers one or more geographically defined areas (for example, city; county or collection of communities) and produces original news and features, aggregated content and social media to engage our audiences. The person filling this role is expected to produce multiple pieces of socially sharable content daily across a range of topics – from crime to local government to education and things to do – to distribute across our websites and social media channels.
The ideal candidate displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get complete content for AJC audiences on a timetable that promotes engagement.
Experience creating content in a variety of story forms — including mobile-effective articles, video, aggregated social media posts, databases and interactives — is a plus.
JOB DUTIES and TASKS :
· Use time effectively to frequently produce news and features stories customized for mobile, social media and emerging digital platforms. Publish 4-6 items per day, depending on level of complexity.
· Nimbly adjust to changing needs of the targeted audiences across a variety of digital platforms, including social media, search and emerging distribution channels.
· Communicate and work effectively with the public, colleagues and supervisors.
· Produce smartphone photos and videos and collect data and other information for maps, charts and other content.
· Use social media to gather information and to strategically disseminate information.
Demonstrate research skills, including knowledge of digital search tools and techniques and of websites relevant to the story topic or beat.
· Use or learn content management and other publishing tools for the production and aggregation of content.
· Collaborate with local team colleagues and audience content editors on advance coverage of key events for the local audience.
· Monitor websites for content that will drive audience.
· Measures and is accountable for pageview and visit targets for content he or she creates.
KEY SKILLS and TRAITS :
· In breaking news and routine news situations, able to quickly self-publish clear, concise and accurate stories with SEO-effective headlines.
· Able to build a network of news sources and possess a range of interview skills, adaptable to the situation.
· Able to quickly produce multi-source stories without significant inaccuracies or reporting gaps.
· News judgment to recognize situations that could expose the AJC to litigation over libel, invasion of privacy, copyright or other issues and involve supervisors as appropriate.
· Strong news judgment.
· Demonstrated ability to create content to meet audience needs across platforms.
· Strong ability to organize, analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
· Strong communication skills.
· Established social media presence on various platforms preferred. Interest particularly in Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Reddit and Snapchat. (Candidates should supply handles for verification.)
· Experience with Adobe Analytics tools preferred.
· A self-starter who thrives in a high-change, fast-paced and experimental environment.
· Is flexible and able to effectively pivot from crime news to features to education to local government. Must be proficient in reporting across a wide range of topics.
Collaborative; likes to work with others to achieve success.
· Detail-oriented and accurate.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Basic Photoshop and video production skills a plus.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, social media or related media field preferred.
· 1-5 years of experience creating content for a consumer website preferred. Ideal candidate has experience working on a community news team.